WARREN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY
The Municipal Clerk holds one of the most important and exacting positions in municipal government. So Important, in fact, that in New Jersey 1) the position is a statutory one, 2) Municipal Clerks may attain tenure in office, and 3) Municipal Clerks must achieve certification through education and testing.
Core Duties of the Municipal Clerk (NJSA 40A:9-133):
- SECRETARY OF THE MUNICIPAL CORPORATION
- Maintains custody of the Township Seal
- Maintains custody of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts and archival records of the municipal corporation.
- Serves as a Notary Public, attesting to the signatures of municipal officers, officials and committee/boards members; Administering and recording oaths of office.
- SECRETARY OF THE GOVERNING BODY
- Agenda preparation for the officials meeting of the governing body.
- Maintain and inform on the Rules of Order during Committee Meetings.
- Drafting and maintain meetings minutes, legal notices and resolutions.
- CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER FOR ALL ELECTIONS held in the municipality
- Certify vacancies at the local level
- Exercise quasi-judicial authority in determining validity of petitions.
- Provide a list of potential polling locations to the County Clerk.
- Maintain receipt of election results.
- Certify to the County Clerk persons elected to partisan county committee offices in each election district.
- Chief Registrar of Voters in the municipality
- Administrative Officer with responsibilities as follows:
- Accepts applications for license and permits.
- Serves as the public information officer to the public and to the media.
- Maintains personnel records for employees, elected officials and members of the various boards and commissions.
- RECORDS CUSTODIAN AND MANAGER being responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs as mandated.
- OTHER DUTIES that may be imposed by state statutes and regulations or municipal ordinances or regulations.
Monday - Friday
8AM - 4PM
Everett Falt, RMC
(908) 362-6663 x 230
(908) 362-6663 x 233
(908) 362-6663 x 235
106 Route 94
Blairstown, N.J. 07825
(908) 362-6663 (OFFICE)