The Municipal Clerk holds one of the most important and exacting positions in municipal government. So Important, in fact, that in New Jersey 1) the position is a statutory one, 2) Municipal Clerks may attain tenure in office, and 3) Municipal Clerks must achieve certification through education and testing.
Core Duties of the Municipal Clerk (NJSA 40A:9-133):
- SECRETARY OF THE MUNICIPAL CORPORATION
- Maintains custody of the Township Seal
- Maintains custody of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts and archival records of the municipal corporation.
- Serves as a Notary Public, attesting to the signatures of municipal officers, officials and committee/boards members; Administering and recording oaths of office.
- SECRETARY OF THE GOVERNING BODY
- Agenda preparation for the officials meeting of the governing body.
- Maintain and inform on the Rules of Order during Committee Meetings.
- Drafting and maintain meetings minutes, legal notices and resolutions.
- CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER FOR ALL ELECTIONS held in the municipality
- Certify vacancies at the local level
- Exercise quasi-judicial authority in determining validity of petitions.
- Provide a list of potential polling locations to the County Clerk.
- Maintain receipt of election results.
- Certify to the County Clerk persons elected to partisan county committee offices in each election district.
- Chief Registrar of Voters in the municipality
- Administrative Officer with responsibilities as follows:
- Accepts applications for license and permits.
- Serves as the public information officer to the public and to the media.
- Maintains personnel records for employees, elected officials and members of the various boards and commissions.
- RECORDS CUSTODIAN AND MANAGER being responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs as mandated.
- OTHER DUTIES that may be imposed by state statutes and regulations or municipal ordinances or regulations.
Monday - Friday
8AM - 4PM
Everett Falt, RMC
(908) 362-6663 x 230
(908) 362-6663 x 233
(908) 362-6663 x 235
106 Route 94
Blairstown, N.J. 07825
(908) 362-6663 (OFFICE)
WARREN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY